Chapter 13 - Step 5

This step involves adding NG-31 and NG-32. Adding the nose floor and sides.

NG-31 and NG-32 parts July 27, 2002. Here are the pieces for NG-31 and NG-32. Since I plan on using the forward section as a ballast compartment I have cut these out taking that into account.

NG-31 and NG-32 in place August 5, 2002. Here are NG-31 and NG-32 glued and taped into place on F-0. I used 5-minute epoxy with flox to glue them in place. I then used regular epoxy for the BID tapes. This made it much easier and I didn't need nails. I figure these aren't load bearing and the 5-minute epoxy isn't going anywhere.

NG-31 and NG-32 again August 5, 2002. Another view of NG-31 and NG-32 in place.

Nose Floor in place September 16, 2002. Here is one of the nose floor pieces microed into place. You can see how the foam is dished out a bit by the curved joint along NG-30.

F-22 Joggle Patch September 16, 2002. I added a small strip of foam on the aft side of F-22 to avoid the joggle as called out in the plans. This will allow the glass to cross through here smoothly.

Inside of Nose Side September 17, 2002. Here is the forward end of the inside face of the right nose side. I did this one first and foam part "B" has been mostly sanded away. I did the sanding before I glued the piece into place. This allowed me to avoid the usual problems with micro joints when sanding foam.

It definitely takes a few dozen head scratches to figure out how this foam is supposed to be "dished out". I finally just started sanding and it became more obvious as I went.

Inside of Nose Side September 17, 2002. Here is the aft end of the inside face of the left nose side. Nothing too hard about this one.

Other Inside September 17, 2002. Here is the forward end of the left nose side. I darkened the picture so you could better see the transition between part "A" and "B". This side came out much better than the other side. Practice helps.

Bottom Glassed September 20, 2002. Here is the nose floor after adding the glass. You can that the glass does not go all the way to the edge. I used the side as a template and traced a line on the floor. This allowed me to add the micro and glass up to but not over the line.

Sides Glassed September 23, 2002. Here are the nose sides after adding the glass. I let these sit for about 2 hours and then added them to the fuselage.

Sides in Place September 24, 2002. Here are the two sides microed in place with the rest of the glass wet out. The canard reinforcements are also in place with peel ply. The hardest part of adding the sides with the "hanging, dry glass", is making a micro fillet under the dry glass. I also found that using a mixing stick from the outside helped push out any dry glass that folded under the edge of the foam while putting it in place. You can see that the nose pieces made a fine shelf while doing this layup.

Sides Fitted to Canard September 24, 2002. It took about a dozen iterations of putting the canard in, marking the foam sides, removing the canard, and sanding the foam to get it just right. Tedious, but fairly simple. I decided to cut the F-22 inserts to length before floxing them into place. I ended up cutting one a bit too short. I glued it in place flush with the front face of F-22. I then added flox to the aft side to fill in the space. In the process I managed to make two more mistakes. I floxed one of the bolts in place. I got it out with some careful hammering. I also managed, somehow, to flox both inserts such that they stuck out about 1/16" beyond the front face of F-22. I'll need to file them down. Oh well, all will be fine in the end.

One thing that has always bothered me about the canard attachment is that you spend so much time in Chapter 12 getting the lift tabs and the trailing edge tabs fit just right, then in chapter 13 you add three more layers of BID behind the lift tabs. Now the trailing edge tabs have a gap between them and F-28.